Director: Professor James Wright, Andrew W. Mellon Professor: Kevin Daly
The School’s nine-month Regular Program offers North American graduate students an unparalleled opportunity to immerse themselves in the archaeology, topography, architecture, and art of Greece and the Greek world from pre-Hellenic times to the present through travel, excavation, and research. The School also offers Summer Sessions that are open to graduate students, advanced undergraduates, and teachers. Each year the School awards more than $800,000 in fellowships to students and more advanced scholars. It also supports a robust schedule of 25 to 30 public events annually, and organizes international scholarly conferences on various topics.
Athenian Agora Excavations
Director: Professor John Camp
Located in the heart of modern Athens and attracting more than half a million international visitors annually, the Agora was in ancient times the business, political, and legal center of Athens, bringing together citizens and foreigners, litigants and jurors, and merchants and philosophers. The School has been excavating at the Agora since 1931, and has brought to light a rich and splendid history of continuous habitation that extends over more than 5,000 years. The major public buildings of ancient Athens are now displayed in a thoughtfully landscaped archaeological park with all of the excavated artifacts and excavation records housed in the restored Stoa of Attalos and available online at ascsa.net. These finds have significantly expanded our knowledge of ancient Athenian life and culture, notably the origins and practice of democracy. Each summer, the Agora trains more than 60 students from American colleges and universities in modern archaeological techniques.
Director: Dr. Maria Georgopoulou
The Library is one of Greece’s national treasures. Opened in 1926 with the collection of diplomat and bibliophile Joannes Gennadius, it now holds over 126,000 rare books and bindings, research materials, manuscripts, archives, and works of art that illuminate Hellenism, Greece, and neighboring civilizations from antiquity to modern times. In addition to its role as an internationally renowned library and research institution, the Library is an active participant in the Athenian and international cultural community through its public lectures, seminars, concerts, exhibitions, and publications.
Completed and opened to the public in 2005, Cotsen Hall is built on the grounds of the Gennadius Library. Designed in modern style, the Hall reflects the historic importance of the Gennadeion as well as that devotion to Greece’s culture and history embodied in the mission of the School. Named for chief benefactor, Lloyd Cotsen, the Hall serves the cultural and educational programs of the School and also welcomes events organized by distinguished groups and individuals from the world of education, culture, and business.
Excavations at Ancient Corinth
Director: Dr. Guy Sanders
The School has conducted archaeological excavations at the site of Ancient Corinth almost continuously since 1896. Excavations have documented the history of the site and its territory from the Early Neolithic period (ca. 6,500 B.C.) to the modern day. The ancient city center, where St. Paul preached and which is toured by more than 150,000 visitors annually, is dominated by impressive Greek, Roman, and Byzantine monuments. In addition to its training program in excavation techniques and procedures, it has recently embarked on an ambitious outreach program for school audiences in the U.S. and Greece and a comprehensive program of heritage management.
Malcolm H. Wiener Laboratory for Archaeological Science
Director: Dr. Panagiotis Karkanas
The Wiener Laboratory provides state-of- the-art facilities and equipment, extensive comparative collections, and resources for independent scientific research. The Lab was founded to serve the interests of archaeological scholars in Greece through long-range, multidimensional programs of research focused primarily on human osteology, faunal analysis, organic residue studies, and a range of geoarchaeological and palaeoenvironmental studies. Recently, he Lab was entrusted by the Greek Archaeological Service with the analysis of the ca. 1,000 burials from the massive Archaic-period cemetery at Old Phaleron.
Head Librarian: Maria Tourna
The Library covers all aspects of Greek civilization from earliest prehistory through late antiquity. It houses approximately 107,000 books and periodicals, plus extensive digital resources. As one of the premier research libraries for classical studies and archaeology in the world, and as one of the best in Greece, the Blegen is heavily used by Greek and international scholars as well as members of the School.
Doreen Canaday Spitzer Archivist: Dr. Natalia Vogeikoff-Brogan
The School Archives include letters, photographs, excavation records, and other materials documenting the intellectual, cultural, and administrative history of the American School and of the archaeologists, architects, and other scholars who have worked there since 1881. The Gennadius Archives contain the personal papers of many leading Greek historical and cultural figures of the 18th to the 20th centuries, among them Heinrich Schliemann (who excavated Troy and Mycenae), Nobel Prize winners George Seferis and Odysseus Elytis, and composer and conductor Dimitris Mitropoulos. Formerly two separate repositories, the School Archives and the Gennadius Archives will now be housed together in new specially designed space in the Gennadius Library.
Director: Carol A. Stein
The Publications Office publishes the work of the School in its award-winning quarterly journal, Hesperia, in the extensive Corinth and Agora monograph series, and in various other volumes devoted to Hellenic studies. These works are essential reference tools for anyone interested in the archaeology and history of the Mediterranean world. The reputation of the Publications Office for scholarly and editorial excellence attracts submissions from many foreign as well as North American scholars.